The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) has applied the requisite sanction on Lyxor International, a non – schedule general aviation operator. NCAA, General Manager, Public Relations, Sam Adurogboye said in a statement Sunday this action by the Regulatory Authority was a consequence of the operator severally violating the terms of its approved flight clearances for […]
The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC has pledged to provide members of the public through the mass media with up-to-date information on the ongoing effort by the Corporation to sanitize the record books through the painstaking reconciliati…
Abuja Electricity Distribution (AEDC) Plc has expressed concern over what it describes as an increasing spate of attacks on its field workers, describing it as unwarranted, vicious, inhuman and criminal. It said no action of AED Plc staff doing their legitimate job warrants the use of bullets to scare them or attack them with dangerous […]
Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, (SERAP) has sent an open letter to President Muhammadu Buhari GCFR requesting him to use his good offices and leadership position “to urgently instruct security and anti-corruption agencies to forward to you reports of their completed investigations into allegations of padding and stealing of some N481 billion from the 2016 […]
To combat the spate of terrorism threats globally, the United Nations Aviation School Project has commenced training of all Aviation Security (AVSEC) personnel in Nigeria. According to the GM, Public Relations, NCAA. Sam Adurogboye, the objective is to effectively mitigate the threat posed to civil aviation by terrorist organizations. It will also provide a key […]
Following the recent installation of 500KVA and 300KVA in Janruwa 1 and Janruwa Extension respectively, Kaduna Electric has gone a step further to engage the community in an interactive session with a view to building a mutually rewarding relationship. In his welcome address, the Leader of the JanruwaElectricity Committee, Major Jacob Iyela, enjoinedthe community members to protect the recently installed facilities, “As inhabitants of this […]
There are strong indications that the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) is unrelenting in its move to ensure liquidity in the interbank FOREX market, as it will inject more foreign exchange into market early this week. The information about the action of the apex bank, which became rife over the weekend, has reportedly sent jitters […]
The Civil Society Network Against Corruption (CSNAC), which is a coalition of over 150 anti-corruption organisation, in collaboration with African Network for Economic and Environmental Justice (ANEEJ) has urged the government of Jigawa State to urgently addressed the displacement of farmers in 36 communities of their farmlands to a Chinese plantation. In a petition issued […]
At the NEC meeting in Abuja Thursday Minister of Finance reported that a member each from the six geo-political zone has been nominated.
They are: Mrs. Halima Buba, North-East; Mr. Bello Maccido,North West; Ms. Lois Laraba Machunga-Disu,North Central; Mr. Babajide Zetilin,South West; Mr. Urum Kalu Eze, South East and South-South – Mr. Abue Ighodalo
A statement by Laolu Akande, spokesman of Nigeria’s Acting President said Council members unanimously adopted the nominations and forwarded them to the President for his final approval.
Also, the statement said as the Federal Government continues its monthly Budget Support Facility to the States, a verification process to ensure that benefiting State governments comply with the mutually agreed Fiscal Sustainability Plan prescribed by the National Economic Council, NEC, has started.
This disclosure emerged at the first NEC meeting this year, presided over by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, SAN. NEC is composed by all the 36 State Governors, the FCT Minister and the Central Bank Governor.
According to the Finance Minister, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun,who briefed the Council today, eight accounting firms have been appointed and have already begun the audit process.
Below are highlights of the NEC meeting as released by Akande:
NEC (1ST in 2017) 74TH NEC MEETING – THURSDAY,
16TH FEBRUARY, 2016
- INAUGURATION OF THE NATIONAL ROAD SAFETY ADVISORY COUNCIL BY HIS EXCELLENCY ACTING PRESIDENT
- Budget and National Planning Minister made a presentation to the Council on the National Road Safety Strategy (NRSS) 2014 – 2018 document before the inauguration.
- He said the NRSS document was approved by FEC and has provided for the establishment of the Advisory Council, as a demonstration of Government’s commitment to address the challenges of road safety in the country in line with UN Agenda to reduce road accident related deaths.
- Members of the 24-man Advisory Council include the following:
- Six Governors representing each geopolitical zone as follows:
- South-West – Governor of Lagos State
- South-East – Governor of Anambra State
- South-South – Governor of Delta State
- North-West – Governor of Kaduna
- North East – Governor of Gombe
- North-Central – Governor of Kwara State
- Honourable Minister of Transport
- Honourable Minister of Power, Works and Housing
- Honourable Minister of Education
- Honourable Minister of Health
- Honourable Minister of Environment
- Honourable Minister of Finance
- Honourable Minister of Justice
- Honourable Minister of Labour and Productivity
- Honourable Minister of Interior
- Honourable Minister FCT
- Honourable Minister of Information and Culture
- Honourable Minister of Budget and National Planning
- National Security Adviser (NSA)
- Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF)
- President NACCIMA
- President Nigeria Society of Engineering (NSE)
- FRSC Corp Marshall
- PRESENTATION BY MINISTER OF AGRICULTURE
- Council was informed of the massive wheat production in the States of Jigawa, Kano, Kebbi and Zamfara among others.
- The States however appealed to the Federal Government to make plans for the purchase of excess wheat to ensure price stability and sustainable production.
- Council agreed to discuss and make adequate buy-back arrangements in order to support price stability.
- REPORT ON EXCESS CRUDE PROCEEDS BY THE FINANCE MINISTER
- Minister of Finance reported to the Council that the balance in Excess Crude Account (ECA) stood at USD 2,458,382,844.03 as at February 15, 2017
- UPDATE ON BUDGET SUPPORT LOAN FACILITY
- Minister of Finance also reported that Eight Accounting Firms have been appointed to start the verification process of the monthly Budget Support Loan Facility to States, based on the approved Fiscal Sustainability Plan of NEC.
- ON ECONOMIC RECOVERY PLAN
- Minister of Budget and National Planning assured the Council members that Federal Government has a recovery plan that will take Nigeria out of the woods.
- Consultations on the plan are ongoing to firm-up the plan with clear roles for all the stakeholders and the States.
- He told the Council that the plan addresses the following:
◦ Agriculture and food security
◦ Energy sufficiency-power and petroleum availability
◦ Improving transportation infrastructure
◦ Industrialization, SMEs, and manufacturing
◦ Stabilization of the macro-economic environment
- ON THE EXCHANGE RATE
- After a brief presentation on Forex Policy options by the CBN Governor, Council members generally expressed concern over the current situation of the exchange rate and called for an urgent review of the current Forex Policy, especially the gap between interbank and the parallel market rates. The CBN Governor sued for patience and understanding, assuring that the situation is being closely managed.
- UPDATE ON THE BOARD APPOINTMENTS INTO THE NIGERIA SOVEREIGN INVESTMENT AUTHORITY (NSIA)
- Minister of Finance reported that a member each from the six geo-political zone has been nominated as follows:
i North-East – Mrs. Halima Buba –
ii North West – Mr. Bello Maccido –
iii North Central – Ms. Lois Laraba Machunga-Disu –
iv South West – Mr. Babajide Zetilin –
v South East – Mr. Urum Kalu Eze –
vi South-South – Mr. Abue Ighodalo –
- Council members unanimously adopted the nominations and forwarded them to the President for his final approval.
- ANNUAL REPORT AND ACCOUNTS OF THE NIGERIA SOVEREIGN INVESTMENT AUTHORITY (NSIA) BY THE MD/CEO OF NSIA
- Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer, Mr. Uche Orji presented a report to Council on the NSIA annual reports and accounts for the year ended 2015 and update on 2016 activities.
- In its report to NEC, Council members were informed that Nigeria Sovereign Wealth Fund (NSWF) has the highest ranking in Africa in terms of performance and capitalization.
- The report highlights, among others, the following:
- Financial performance 2014 to Q3 2016
- Update and investment strategy on the NSIA Future Generation Fund (FGF)
- NSIA Infrastructure strategy and Agriculture Fund
- NSIA – Old Mutual Real Estate Co-Investment Vehicle, among others.
- NSIA outlook, among others, are as follows:
- NSIA plans to increase domestic infrastructure investment in 2017 as there are compelling opportunities in the environment.
- NSIA will also focus on “Social Infrastructure” including investments in the form of affordable housing, and healthcare through the development of specialist hospitals.
- Council, while adopting the report of the NSIA, decided to inject a fresh $250 million into the SWF sourced from the ECA.
- VALEDICTORY SESSION FOR ONDO STATE GOVERNOR
- Council held a valedictory session for the Ondo State Governor Dr. Olusegun Mimiko who was attending the meeting for the last time as his tenure expires this month.
- Council members commended Dr. Mimiko’s contributions to the Council and commended him for facilitating a smooth transition in the State. In his response, the out-going Governor praised President Muhammadu Buhari for his leadership of the nation, the Vice President as chairman of the Council for his “productive leadership and personal commitment,” and the Council members for an enjoyable relationship and quality of debate.
- Both Mimiko and the Ondo State Governor-elect who was also in attendance today in observer status hugged each other to the delight of the Council, attracting a huge round of applause.